Ikatza – which means ‘coal’ in the Basque language – is the fine-dining grill restaurant of the 5-star Hotel Gran Meliá Victoria on Palma’s Paseo Marítimo and offers modern Basque cuisine with innovative touches. A good choice of wines – principally from Spanish wineries – is available to accompany dinner at Ikatza.
The restaurant has an elegantly luxurious interior, as would be expected in a hotel of this calibre, and a smart tiled terrace, with classic-style white wrought-iron furniture, for al fresco dining by candlelight. The professional service is of 5-star standard.
The cuisine at Ikatza
The food of the Basque Country is globally renowned and has both French and Spanish influences; the cuisine at Ikatza is a contemporary take on the delicious dishes of the region.
Ikatza offers à la carte and tasting (‘degustación’) menus, with dishes based on a wide variety of high-quality locally sourced ingredients. Meats are a speciality and are cooked on a purpose-designed open grill, in typical Basque style. The menu also includes some international cuisine with creative twists, created by chef Leo Lovrincevich.
Examples of special dishes from the à la carte menu:
- Sea salted cured Cantabrian anchovies with emulsion of black garlic and olive oil “Oli de Mallorca DO”
- Free-range eggs and desalted cod fish scramble with green peppers
- White Mendavia asparagus seasoned with black truffle and Jerez vinegar
- Beef shank 20 hours braised at low temperature, served with baby carrots, potato mash and its sauce
- 45 days aged Ox T-bone steak served with oven baked tomato (min. 2 pax)
- Ox sirloin with foie gras scallop
- Grilled desalted cod fish served with confited Piquillo peppers
Open every night for dinner, to members of the public as well as guests staying in the hotel, Ikatza benefits from sweeping views around the Bay, including Palma’s iconic Cathedral.
Ikatza is just a short taxi or car ride from the city centre and diners can take advantage of free car parking at the hotel (subject to space availability) and WiFi.